Yes, I really did use my name in the title of this blog post—a first!
A while back, I received the Versatile Blogger Award from Denise Hammond of Yes, Virginia, There is Life After Retirement.
Denise is a retired Certified Government Financial Manager and the former Treasurer of West Bloomfield, Michigan. She enjoys reading, cooking, and travel, which is why I love her blog. I, too, enjoy reading, cooking, and travel. Denise also gardens and practices yoga. Did I mention I love reading, cooking, and travel? In case you missed the link above, here it is again: Yes, Virginia, There is Life After Retirement.
Go Visit Denise!
You can thank me later for introducing you to her terrific blog.
Down to business. As I recall,
THE RULES for the Versatile Blogger are thus:
- Create a post for the Versatile Blogger Award.
- Thank the blogger who nominated you and link back to her blog.
- Reveal seven (7) little known facts about yourself.
- Nominate others for the award.
Because there is so much going on in my life at present, it was pretty easy to come up with seven things no one knows about me. I’ll start slow and build to create suspense—it’s good practice.
1. I’m a huge fan of the New Orleans based group, Cowboy Mouth. I confessed this on my old blog several years ago, but I believe the statute of limitations has expired, and it once again counts as a new revelation. Not familiar with Cowboy Mouth? Have a listen here and here.
2. I’m addicted to Carmex lip balm. I prefer the neat twist tube version and buy it in bulk, but I’ve also used the squeeze tubes and the iconic jar.
3. My first novel manuscript had five titles (in chronological order):
- Lurking Within
- The Dead Don’t Bleed
- Blood and Thorns
and last but certainly not least . . .
The moment I retitled to BLOOD UNDER WILL, the manuscript won the Colorado Gold for Mystery from the Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers, and I knew I was onto something.
4. Chapter One of BLOOD UNDER WILL opens with the following quote from the Liber AL vel Legis:
“Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
Love is the law, love under will.”
The Liber AL vel Legis or Book of Law, was written by the notorious ceremonial magician and occultist, Aleister Crowley. The BoL stands as the primary sacred text of Thelema, a spiritual philosophy (religion) which centers around the core tenet above: “Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.”
What? You’ve neither read BLOOD UNDER WILL nor heard of Thelema? I can help with that. Read on.
5. With my second novel presently under submission and my third in progress, I’ve decided to travel the indie path with BLOOD UNDER WILL. This, despite the fact I’d rather have root canal. I hope to get the book out sometime within the next few months, but we’ll see. Needless to say, I’ll post updates here.
6. Also by year end, I plan to have my editorial freelance business up and running—no more ad hoc editing only when I feel like it. I will focus on story evaluation and content editing. Feeling insecure about your dialogue, flow, wording, inconsistent characters, style, voice, or thematic issues? I’m here for you, babe!
7. My biggest reveal, at least in terms of personal upheaval—mine not yours—is that I will be moving again in July, this time to Massachusetts. (Atlanta, I hardly knew ye…)
Now, on to the fun part!!!!
THE AWESOME NOMINEES
And by awesome, I mean an avalanche of superb can’t-miss blogs that you simply must visit if you haven’t already done so.
If you see your name listed below and are a former recipient of the Versatile Blogger Award, you can either ignore this nomination, or do as I did: accept it again and list seven NEW things we don’t know about you.
Nutshell at The Writing Nut
Liz at Laws of Gravity
Steven Symes at Steven Symes, Writer
Sue at sassyspeaks
Pat Hatt at It’s Rhyme Time
Susan Swiderski at I think; Therefore, I Yam
Elise Fallson at Elise Falson
Michael Di Gesu at In Time …
Donna Hole at A Writer’s Life in Progress
D.A. Cairns at Square Pegs
Carol Kilgore at Under the Tiki Hut
Roland Yeomans at Writing in the Crosshairs
Trisha F. at Word + Stuff
DL Hammons at Cruising Altitude 2.0
Alex J. Cavanaugh at Alex J. Cavanaugh
Once more, a huge thank you to Denise
for the award and for lifting my spirits!