Just before launch of the A-to-Z, the sublime Denise Hammond of Yes, Virginia, There is Life After Retirement nominated this blog—yes, the very one you’re reading right now— for a Liebster Award. In case you suffer from monolingualism (I do), liebster translates from the German to “beloved” or “preferred above all others.” Needless to say, I am honored.
The Liebster comes with a few rules that shift and morph depending on who is doing the nominating, so consider the following to be no more than guidelines.
1. Thank the blogger who gave you the award with a link back to their site.
Thank you Denise!!! And in case any of you missed the link to Denise’s terrific blog, here it is again: Yes, Virginia, There is Life After Retirement
2. Place The Liebster Award icon on your site. Use the one above or find another online.
3. Nominate 3, 5, 7, or 11 other bloggers with less than 200 or 3,000 readers.
Here is where I break with tradition. Given this is my third blog, and I’ve done many of these sorts of posts in the past, I’m making The Liebster an open award. Here’s why: If you are visiting me, you are indeed one of my cherished blog-buddies, and as I mentioned earlier, liebster translates to “preferred above all others.” Yes, my darlings, The Liebster is yours for the taking.
Denise’s nomination came with a few additional instructions, most notably:
- Post 11 random facts about you, by way of introduction to new readers
Not really possible given that I’ve made this an open award, but I promise to reveal a few tidbits when I do my “Versatile Blogger” post.
- Answer 11 questions that the presenter of your award has asked
Done! See below.
- Ask your nominees 11 questions
Because I thought Denise’s question were truly original and fun, I’m not only answering them, I’m posing them to you. Even if you’ve already been awarded the Liebster, I’d love to read your answers. At the end you’ll find my eleven questions. Pick and choose between Denise’s questions and mine. Answer only those that intrigue you most. Answer one question or all twenty-two.
- Best rule of all: “Be happy! You are not obligated to do any of this—”
DENISE’S QUESTIONS/My answers
1. If you could be any animal, which would it be and why?
Lion, because it’s good to be king!
2. What kind of tree are you?
A willow. I may bend, but it takes a lot to break me.
3. Are you a city person or a country person?
City, although I could live happily in the country. The ‘burbs, however, blow and have nothing to recommend them.
4. If you could meet one historical figure living or dead, who would it be?
A toss up between my two heroes, Martin Luther King and Varian Fry—I can’t choose. Fry was an American journalist who ran a rescue network in Vichy France during WWII. Among the thousands he saved: Marc Chagall, Marcel, Duchamp, and Claude Levi-Strauss.
5. Window seat or aisle?
6. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you go?
Paris. Paris. Paris.
7. Fast food or gourmet meal, assuming you are doing the cooking?
Gourmet. With the exception of fried chicken, fast food *cringe* is to be ingested only in emergency situations, e.g. on the road.
8. What or who inspired you to start a blog?
I’ve had three blogs over the past six years. After taking a year off, I discovered I missed blogging, but more than that, I missed my blogging friends. Et voilà! Here I am.
9. When it comes to appointments are you there ten minutes early or ten minutes late? Or are you Mr./Ms. Punctuality?
10. What is the most challenging thing you’ve ever accomplished?
Completing my second novel, because I didn’t write the book for me—a mistake I will never make again.
11. Why did you decide to accept the award and answer all the questions?
I needed a post for today? Seriously, because I was honored, and because I wanted to ask eleven questions of my own. Please, read on!
MY QUESTIONS FOR YOU:
- Do you have any phobias?
- Name a food you won’t eat.
- Do you parallel park or drive around the block?
- If your house was on fire, what’s the one thing (not person) you’d grab?
- If you had to give yourself a new name, what would it be?
- What is the riskiest decision you’ve ever made?
- What do you like best about yourself?
- You’re stranded on a desert island with one book—your choice. What would it be?
- Favorite mythical creature?
- You’re in the shower, what do you wash first?
- Name something you do when you’re alone that you wouldn’t do in front of others. (Keep it clean folks).
There you have it, two sets of Liebster questions, a total of twenty-two. Answer one, some, or all, either in
the comments or accept The Liebster nomination
and answer them on your blog—your choice.
All I ask is that you make it fun!